Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vienna of the Rust Belt

I've written before about my love for my old town, Cleveland. I went back for a visit last weekend and I have to confess, I was a little nervous. My last year in Cleveland was fantastic and how well do memories ever stand up to reality? Happily in this case they stand up just fine.

Let's go on a tour of Cleveland!


Being woken up with coffee and breads from On the Rise Breads is the best way to begin. 




Then lunch at Noodlecat where the ramen is infused with bacon! At least it tastes that way!




I occasionally worked for Danielle DeBoe at her shop in Ohio City, Room Service. I was eager to visit her new shop on East 4th Street- Dredgers Union. What an amazing retail space- I wanted to buy everything there. I found an awesome decanter for a bridal shower I was attending the next day. 





Our energy was flagging, so it was time to have tea at Lilly Handmade Chocolates in the artsy Tremont neighborhood. 

We opted for rose-chocolate dessert tea and a lavender chocolate. 


I highly recommend that if you travel to Cleveland you get invited to my friends Marc and Samanthas house for dinner (really let me know if you are going- they might have you over). Some of my favorite meals in Cleveland have been eaten at their house- the most memorable being their black-tie New Years Eve dinner.

action shoot

Manhattan
If you are lucky enough to visit Cleveland in the summer, go to Wendy Park, have a picnic, walk to the old Coast Guard station, and finish up with a beer (or two) at Cropicana, my new favorite spot in Cleveland. What a blissful day. 

snacks and cider

Friendly Vinny the dog

Coast Guard Station

such a perfect day


a matte black mercedes in the parking lot

Cropicana!

the band was playing classic rock covers- it was perfect. 

So, on to newish (I haven't been there) restaurant Club Isabella. Interesting clientele, pretty lights, great food and wine. I had hangar steak and french fries and tried cuttlefish and frogs legs for the first time.



steak + french fries= the very best
Go to brunch at Fire if you possibly can- fantastically spicy Bloody Marys.

You can see my old building reflected in the window
Lastly, a visit to scenic Chagrin Falls, which looks just like Stars Hollow and to eat ice cream at the famous Jenis Ice Cream. So delicious. I have such a weakness for ice cream.


a sweet good-bye to Cleveland
Thanks for coming on a tour of Cleveland with me! I love my new home, Kansas City- but a part of my heart will always be in Cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment