Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday Adventure (and so long Sweet Heartland)

Last Saturday night while watching The Grisly Hand at Knuckleheads (on the menu: Rolling Rock and jalapeno poppers) my friend Angie suggested an adventure the following day. What better plan for a hot, lazy Sunday than an equally lazy adventure?

We started with brunch at Westport Cafe with Sabine and her family. Then it was out to the country! We drove under heartbreakingly blue skies to the little town of Weston, MO. There, we visited some shops and had a blissfully cool bottle of white wine under the arbor at Pirtle Winery.

A really wonderful pottery shop in Weston

On day when it's 106 degrees, an icy bottle of wine is just the thing

The courtyard at Pirtle Winery
On our way to Weston, we noticed signs pointing to Smithville, MO, a tiny town that has a secret: it's home to Justus Drugstore, a deservedly well-known farm-to-table restaurant. We decided to stop in at the bar for drinks and snacks.


A gin fizz and a herbed lemonade cocktail (and a taste of the housemade vermouth)



The bar at Justus Drugstore

It was really a perfect day. And a perfect end to my time in the Midwest. Matt is on his was home from Afghanistan as I write this and we are moving (hopefully for the last time in the foreseeable future) to....Washington DC! I've been lucky enough to have spent this weekend here, seeing friends and finding a place to live and I'm in love. I couldn't be more excited to return to the east coast and live in this gorgeous city. 

So  (after 5 years here!) this is goodbye to the Midwest and so long to Sweet Heartland. 

It's been lovely- thank you for following me on my adventures in the heartland. 

love, 
e

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful wrap to your blog, even though I'm sad to see you go. I can't wait to have equally splendid adventures when I visit you in D.C. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    I will miss seeing your posts on Kansas City but looking forward to Washington DC, one of my favorite cities.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete