Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hello, again

I lasted posted on February 18th. On February 20th we moved into our new apartment and it was smooth and easy- the weather was great, Matt got all the furniture moved by noon, and by 8 pm that night we were exhaustedly eating Middle Eastern food and watching Friends With Benefits (it was really funny! A great movie for when you don't want to think very much). 

The next day, however, I woke up with a Terrible Awful Cold. I don't think I've been so sick since I was very little. I was sick for ten days and then Matt got it. Awful. We both recovered just in time for Matt to leave to begin training for his deployment. He'll be gone for two months but at least he'll still be in America...

In the brief couple of days that we both were better, we did manage to have some fun. Notably, dinner at Sabines house and and very strange, but funny and oddly romantic dinner at the Kansas City landmark Savoy Grill (Savoy, I love you for cocktails but your dining room and service need a spiffing up!). We said goodbye (for now) over brunch at Westport Cafe and now I'm on my own for the next bit. 

I miss Matt already but I'm trying to stay on the bright side of being on my own- doing whatever I want to. Yesterday this meant mooning over one of my favorite 80's movies and this morning it meant community yoga class at Maya Yoga

Our Kansas City museum
In the afternoon I walked over to the Nelson-Atkins Museum for a concert by the chamber music group eighth blackbird. It was wonderful- and free! One thing I thought of on my way in- so often we enter concert halls and museums from the bottom or the side because of where the parking lot is located. The experience is so much more impressive when you enter where the designers intended. 

Some other small weekend things:


My boss gave me some delicious soup in this mason jar- I'm returning it with a batch of savory cookies. Some past gifts from my boss- homemade pate and various mustards and pickles. He's the best. 


I brought some more cookies to a gathering at a friends house- her grandmother recently gave her a haul of vintage jewelry, so she invited some of us over to share the bounty. I scored an amazing cuff and an Indian-inspired necklace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment