Saturday, June 30, 2012

plum popsicles

The temperature has been averaging 102 degrees for a week now and everything I've wanted to eat  and drink has been light and cooling- ratatouille last night, a Hendrick's gin and tonic with Sabine on Wednesday and today, roasted red plum popsicles.

A nice man was sitting outside my local farmers market last night with a cooler of plums, offering free samples. I tried one and  "it was a very plum plum". I bought a bag and was faced with the pleasant problem of figuring out what to do with a large bowl of plums. My mom recently sent me the People's Pops recipe book so the answer was clear: popsicles!

I opted for the roasted red plum popsicles which could not be easier to make:
1 1/4 lbs plums, halved
1 cup simple syrup (I flavored mine with 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla- you can also use cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg


Prehead the oven to 350 F. Place the plums cut side down on a cookie sheet, then roast until the skins and flesh are soft (about 30 minutes). Remove from the oven and cool. 

Once the plums are cool enough to touch, remove the pits and whiz the plums, skins and all, in a food processor. Transfer the pureed plums to a bowl or measuring pitcher with a spout and add the simple syrup. Sitre until the mixture is well incorporated and taste. The mixture should be sweet, yet slightly tart. 

Pour the mixture in ice pop mold and freeze 4-5 hours. 
(recipe via People's Pops)



The best soundtrack for popsicle making on a hot Saturday? Beachwood Sparks new album "Tarnished Gold" on NPR First Listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment