Sunday, June 17, 2012

Royals Baseball (and happy Fathers Day!)

I grew up mostly in New Jersey and Connecticut, close enough to Yankee Stadium for my dad to attend many, many games of his beloved New York Yankees. He almost always brought my sister and I along, and we always each got one souvenir (most of which are now in the dedicated Yankee room at my parents house) and sandwiches from Court Deli.

Because of this, I still like going to baseball games and I was very happy to be invited to a Kansas City Royals game to celebrate my friend Angie's cover on this weeks Kansas City Ink Magazine. Especially when I was told we'd be tailgating. What in the world could be better than grilling sausages and drinking beer in a parking lot while listening to Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen? For some people, I guess a lot of things but for me (at least on a gorgeous summer night) not much.

We stocked up on essentials- Coors Light, Leinenkugels's Summer Shandy and sausage from The Local Pig.

Vintage Abercrombie cooler and a Bodum grill I'm coveting

Grilling

Half of me and our neighbors playing washers in the lot



It was a good night for baseball

Just a postscript: I spoke to my dad in the middle of writing this and he told me the greatest baseball game he's ever seen in person was the Yankees versus the Royals in the fifth game of the 1976 World Series. The teams were tied six-six until the bottom of the ninth inning when Chris Chambliss (who apparently was our neighbor in New Jersey) hit a home run. My dad was freezing his tucus off in the bleacher seats. So there you go.

2 comments:

  1. Great story and thanks for mentioning my favorite in NY Yankee baseball history. By the way, I looked at the scorecard and the score was actually tied at 7 - 7 when Chambliss hit the home run. But who's counting?

    Love

    ReplyDelete